Summer one: Preparing for College
- how to master a rigorous curriculum within a small classroom setting;
- how to engage in classroom discussions using roundtables, as well as receive constructive feedback on written work;
- the basics of the college application process as well as how to prepare both academically and mentally;
- how to tackle the SATs via the Naviance online program as well as in-class sessions with a college prep teacher; and,
- how to choose the right college, how to become a competitive applicant and essential survival skills of a successful student.
Summer Two: Research and Apply to College
- how to prepare academically and socially as well as take a more in-depth look at the actual college application process;
- to hone literacy, writing and math skills, developing a strong foundation for college-level coursework;
- the necessary steps to apply to college as well as learn the process for applying for financial aid;
- how to write a college essay, how to properly research colleges to find the right fit, as well as how to successfully interview for college; and
- what scholarships they may qualify for and how to apply.
College Transition: Ready to go
- what it takes to transition smoothly into the college environment;
- how to successfully select the right courses;
- general approaches to exploring and selecting majors;
- strategies to maximize performance, such as time management and taking advantage of professor office hours; and
- how to stay organized, utilize on-campus resources and formulate a plan to successfully complete Freshman year.
Events Held Throughout the School Year
- Financial Aid Workshops
- Practice Test Exams and Preparation Strategies
- One-on-one College Counseling
- Mock Interview Days